Navigate Up
Sign In

History

The first Catholic school in the Archdiocese of Brisbane was commenced by two lay people, Mary and Michael Bourke, in 1845 on the site of the current Myer Centre in Elizabeth Street. Since that time Catholic schooling has expanded its mission in the Archdiocese to teach over 74,000 students in over 150 schools. Twenty of these schools are owned and conducted by religious congregations and over 130 are conducted by the Archdiocese of Brisbane, most of these being parish schools.

During the 1960s and 1970s a major change occurred in the organisation of Catholic schooling. This was the formation of systems of Catholic schools under the oversight of our bishops. This change was in response to the growing complexity of education, the increased cost of schooling, the need to provide extra places for a rapidly growing population, and the advent of significant government funding.

This is the solid foundation upon which our Catholic schools have been built. This is the platform from which we move forward to address the challenges of the twenty-first century.


Brisbane Catholic Education Office

243 Gladstone Road, Dutton Park Q 4102

GPO Box 1201 Brisbane 4001 Australia

Phone: (07) 3033 7000

Fax: (07) 3844 5101